Randal Smith joins social studies staff

Provided by: Randal Smith

Randal Smith is one of two additions to the Social Studies staff. He was assigned to room M-211.

Jake Epstein, Content Editor

Following the retirement of Terese Trebilcock and the promotion of Nicole Maffei, the Bulls’ Social Studies team found new and exciting teachers to fill their vacancies. One such figure is Randal Smith, who joins the staff as a Philosophy and Government teacher.

Smith enters his eighth year of teaching after spending his first seven years at Maryvale Preparatory School. He holds a bachelor’s degree in Psychology from Pennsylvania State University and a master’s degree in Liberal Studies from Loyola University of Maryland.

Smith’s inspiration for teaching stems from his grandfather, a retired DC firefighter, who taught CPR & First Aid classes.

“He started taking me to classes when I was eight, and having that experience being in front of people, while having some great teachers along the way, showed me their great love and passion coming through and a way that I could give back to communities,” Smith said.

Following his time at Maryvale, where he taught Global Studies, World History, Government, Psychology, Algebra I, and Geometry, Smith applied for a position with BCPS. He received an interview at Hereford and connected with the staff.

“It was a great first impression and we had a really great conversation, which made it feel like a community where I could come in and really contribute,” Smith said.

This sense of community appealed to Smith, as it showed that the school is more than just a place of learning.

“Everyone’s been very welcoming, and the classes and conversations show that a lot of students are very interested in their education,” Smith said. “There’s also a great balance of academic and athletic success.”

Outside of the classroom, Smith enjoys playing ice hockey, meaning Mr. Ed Martin has a new skating colleague in the Social Studies wing.