The student news site of Hereford High School

Hereford Harbinger

Hereford Harbinger

Hereford Harbinger

Hereford Signing Day: A milestone moment for senior athletes

Athletes, parents, and coaches gathered in the library Monday morning, Nov. 8 for Signing Day. Signing day is when the athletes who have officially committed to a college for their prospective sport, get together to acknowledge their accomplishments. This day is a day many have dreamed of and waited for. 

“This is my favorite day of the year,” Coach Kalisz, Herefords Athletic Director said. 

All of the athletes will play their sport at the college level, whether it is Division I, II, or III.  During his opening remarks, Mr. Covert recognized the importance and significance of every division. One of the senior athletes, Eleni Yates, is looking forward to playing DI Lacrosse at Old Dominion University. 

“I am excited for D1 and a lot of work with a whole new group of girls,” Yates (24’) said. 

The excitement that the athletes were feeling filled the air, and everyone knew just how important this was to all of them. Briar Brown, who is committed to Millersville University to play Lacrosse expressed excitement to join a new team. An unprecedented seven female athletes committed to play women’s lacrosse. They are all eager to move to the next level. 

“A new team experience and a different speed of the game… I’m ready to learn,” Brown (24’) said. 

The support that coaches have shown these players is very clear. Proud and supportive coaches have contributed to the athletes success and confidence.

“I got support from all my coaches and teachers. They believed in me to succeed,” Brendan Kittner (24’) said.

Kittner will attend Hampden Sydney College and play DIII lacrosse. 

Mr. Aitken, math teacher and golf coach, attended to support his player Adam Green, committed to Towson University in the fall to play golf, Aitken wanted to express how impressed he was in Green. 

“Adam’s golf game is so much better than mine, that he often coaches,” Aitken said with a smile.

Hereford sports are highly competitive and an important part of our school and its image. The school makes a huge effort to help their student athletes excel to the best of their abilities on and off the field. This year’s seniors started high school with virtual instruction. Parents were a key part of their students’ commitment and growth.

“It was tough during covid, but the school did a great job allowing the student athlete to perform. [Hereford] finds a good balance between focus on academics and the athletic side of the student,” Mr. Jim Walner said. His son Cole will attend Washington College to play lacrosse.

Hereford Signing Day has come and gone, but the impact this day has on athletes will be remembered by everyone involved for long after they leave Parkton. 

Recognition of athletes:

Maya Antonakas – James Madison University – Lacrosse

Briar Brown – Millersville University – Lacrosse

Katie Burks – University of Denver – Lacrosse

Courtney Gempp – Stevenson University – Lacrosse

Adam Green – Towson University – Golf

Riley Hackett – Lycoming College – Field Hockey

Rebekka Hillier – Towson University – Cross Country/Track and Field

Kennedy Ziegler – University of South Florida – Lacrosse 

Brenden Kittner – Hampden-Sydney College – Lacrosse

Lauren Kraft – Catholic University – Basketball 

Lindsey Moneymaker – The Ohio State University – Lacrosse

Cole Walner – Washington College – Lacrosse

Eleni Yates – Old Dominion University – Lacrosse