The student news site of Hereford High School

Hereford Harbinger

Hereford Harbinger

Hereford Harbinger

Art Auction unmasks Hereford’s talent

Maddie McGee

Picture this: You walk into the cafeteria and all you see are hundreds of incredible paintings, drawings, and photographs. All of the art is incredible, some even museum-worthy. The catch: Every single piece was painstakingly created by students. If you think that this seems impossible, then you’ve never been to the National Art Honor Society’s annual art show and auction.

If you have never been to the Art Auction, you are missing out on a great opportunity. All club members are required to submit two pieces of artwork, which will then be bid on by ticketholders. Besides the small pieces of artwork that are for sale, upperclassmen will also have a space where their larger pieces of artwork will be displayed.

It is free to come to the auction and enjoy the art, but in order to buy a piece, you need a ticket, which are available for purchase from a club member. Ticketholders must make a list of pieces that they would want to purchase and pieces are then given out according to the number of bids on the piece.

“It’s a great way for parents and teachers to view and purchase some of the incredible art our students have to offer,” said Ms. Amber Carky, art teacher, and one of the NAHS advisers. “We hope lots of people will be in attendance!”

Ms. Carky emphasizes how crucial attendance is for the auction. It is the only fundraiser the club holds during the year because it takes so long to coordinate.

Students are also excited for the auction. “I worked so hard on my pieces, and now I’m really excited for my family and friends to be able to see them,” said Danielle Schmidt (10). Other students have been selling tickets to ensure that every piece is sold.

The NAHS annual art show and auction takes place on April 11, from 6-8 pm in the cafeteria. The cost to get in is free and refreshments will be served. For more information