The student news site of Hereford High School

Hereford Harbinger

Hereford Harbinger

Hereford Harbinger

Music Review: deaf rapper debuts groundbreaking EP

Skyler Thompson

A deaf guy who makes music? Why would someone ever do such a thing? Sean Forbes, who is legally deaf, has been making and listening to music since he was a child. . Forbes is 90% deaf, due to spinal meningitis when he was an infant. Deaf people cannot hear music, but they can feel the vibrations that the sound makes.

Photo courtesy of MOXIESean Forbes, a deaf rapper, creates music about his handicap. However, his debut album was not well-received as it features conventional, unoriginal rap themes and lyrics.
Photo courtesy of MOXIE
Sean Forbes, a deaf rapper, creates music about his handicap. However, his debut album was not well-received as it features conventional, unoriginal rap themes and lyrics.

Forbes’ EP Perfect Imperfection is available now, features fourteen songs, and comes with a DVD, so hard-of-hearing or deaf people can listen too. All music videos that Forbes makes are presented not only through auditory senses but also sight. Either Forbes or one of his friends signs the words for the videos so that anyone can enjoy the music.
     Forbes’ most popular song is one titled, “I’m Deaf,” where he raps about, you know, being deaf. The genre of music that Forbes does would classify as rap, and, because of that, it makes it a little harder to listen to. Rap has never been a genre of music that is known for its inspirational messages, or even being decent for that matter.
     Forbes, unfortunately, follows this precedent. Maybe if he would have done something a bit more rock or pop, then he would have created music more people could enjoy. Not to say that his raps have no meaning, except for the one called, “Def Deaf Girls,” which is pretty much sending the same message all rap songs comment on these days, with lyrics such as “they make it hard, I mean difficult, when they start shaking like the San Andreas fault.”
    Forbes’ music is not something that can be easily enjoyed, but it is appreciated. Many people overlook musicians who are too different, but Forbes is someone who should be acknowledged.

View Comments (1)