The student news site of Hereford High School

Hereford Harbinger

• Follow us on Twitter! @HHarbinger

• Add us on Snapchat! @hharbinger

• Follow us on Instagram! @HHarbinger

UMD lacrosse wins National Championships

Maryland lacrosse players play Denver at home. After defeating Denver in the semifinals, Maryland went on to beat Ohio State in the national championship.

Photo provided by https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:D1_Lacrosse.jpg

Will Amos, Online Editor

The NCAA Men’s Lacrosse Tournament Championship was held on Monday May 29 at Gillette Stadium. The University of Maryland played Ohio State with the final score being 9-6, respectively. This is the first time Maryland has won a national championship since 1975.

Maryland won all four games against Bryant, 13-10, Albany, 18-9, Denver, 9-8, and then Ohio State.

Maryland had kept Ohio State to just two goals at half leading 5-2 and finished the game in the fourth quarter by scoring three goals. Adding to their collection of victories, Maryland secured their twelfth championship.

Maryland had been to the national championship in the two years prior to this and has failed to get the title. “Two losses in two years is very hard to do and overcome, but that just says an awful lot of what the Terps are about,” Junior Midfielder Connor Kelly said, according to an article written by the University of Maryland sports department.

Junior goalie Dan Morris had 11 saves and the defense limited Ohio State’s offense to just 25 shots. Maryland defender Tim Muller was named the championship’s Most Outstanding Player.

“After what happened last year, for them to be back up here speaks to their character and how hard they worked and what a true team and how unselfish they are,” Coach John Tillman said, according to an article written by the University of Maryland sports department.

The men’s team wasn’t the only Terps team to capture a tournament championship this weekend. The Women’s Lacrosse team won their division’s championship a day earlier on Sunday May 28. The women’s team have won three of the last four national championships and this is the first time that both UMD lacrosse teams have won the championships.

UMD wasn’t the only team from Maryland that made it into the tournament though. Towson University, Loyola University MD, and Johns Hopkins University all competed in the tournament with Towson making it to the semifinals, losing to Ohio State.

Former Hereford graduates, and Towson Juniors Joe Seider (’14) and Jack Adams (’14). Both Sider and Adams played for Hereford’s lacrosse team and won multiple state championships. Sider is currently and attacker and Adams is a midfielder.

“I think my brother, [Jack], played very well. He didn’t get beat and stood up to every challenge,” Will Adams (’17) said, brother of Jack Adams and former Hereford lacrosse player. “Towson played great throughout the tournament, beating teams no one expected to lose.”

“Towson played well, but in their last game they couldn’t contain Denver in the second half,” Matt Adams (’19), cousin of Jack Adams said. “Jack played well and he had a couple big hits.”

Loyola also lost to Ohio State and Johns Hopkins lost to Duke, both being in the first round.

The US Naval Academy women’s team also participated in the tournament making it to the semifinals beating University of Pennsylvania, University of Massachusetts, and the University of North Carolina and losing to Boston College.