Hereford dancers take the stage

Dance I students dance to “Swingin’ the Mood” by Jive Bunny and the Master Mixers.

REVIEW

The dance students preformed a spring dance recital on April 23 for family and friends to watch and support. The lower level of the auditorium was filled with excited fans.

All five levels of dance— Dance I, Dance II, Dance III, Dance IV, and Dance Company— participated in the recital. With 15 dances, some performances were very up-beat and fun. Others were elegant and had beautiful choreography.

Some dancers, like Olivia Herbkersman (’16), Lauren McKee (‘16), Caylee Morgan (‘15), Hannah Popowski (’17), Ariana Greenberg (‘15), Tori Robinson (‘17), Ally Dever (‘15), Morgan Mays (‘17) and the Dance IV students choreographed some of their own pieces. Others were choreographed by the dance teacher, Erin Norton.

Norton has been the dance teacher here for five years. “Before I started the program at Hereford, I started and ran the dance program at New Town High School for seven years,” said Norton.

Along with holding a spring concert, the dance classes also hold a concert in the winter. Some dancers, like Lauren Litsinger (’17), like the spring concert more because it is “more upbeat and fun.” According to Norton, the spring concert usually has more jazz and hip-hop.

With popular songs like “What Now?” by Rihanna, “Uptown Funk” by Mark Ronson featuring Bruno Mars, and “Riptide” by Vance Joy, the students kept the audience eager for more.

With all eyes on the dancers, preparation for the final performance took months.

“The week before the performance is typically very busy,” said Norton.

But all the chaotic and stressful classes paid off when the final performance started and the show went on. “The kids did an unbelievable job, and I couldn’t be prouder of them,” said Norton.