Chemistry Club conducts experiments

Ryan Rudy (‘15), Stevie Gerovasilis (‘15), and Lucas Spencer (‘15) are put on their goggles and aprons to get ready for the Christmas ornament lab they are about to complete. Many of the students liked Chemistry club so much because they didn’t need to complete “lab write ups” or use exact measurements.

Over 35 students packed into Mr. Fluharty’s room on Wednesday for Chemistry Club.  Chemistry Club is held every other Wednesday.  Many of the students in this club are taking AP Chem or a chemistry class currently, but you do not need to be in one to attend.

“We get to do stuff outside of the classroom that we wouldn’t get to do during class,” said Maddie Hoover (’15).  Maddie is currently in AP Chem. This is her first year in Chemistry Club.

During the meeting today, the club talked about ordering Chemistry Club shirts. Members also discussed their annual Christmas party.  After that, the students got to work on their labs.  During this meeting, the students made Christmas ornaments out of flasks.  They combined chemicals to create a silver/ mirror-like coating on the inside of the flask.

“I love Chemistry; its my favorite subject,” said Craig Stone (’18).  Craig enjoys doing the experiments since he is not in a chemistry class this year, and without the club, he wouldn’t be able to do any fun experiments like the ones they do in Chemistry Club.

“Its nice because you don’t have to do lab reports, and exact measurements, you just kind of slop it together and see what happens,” said James Larrimore (’15).  James is also in AP Chem.  He loves doing the experiments, but hates doing the lab reports and other paper work that he needs to do for his AP class. No paper work and just experiments is what Chem Club is all about. It’s like the best of both worlds for Larrimore.

• Ryan Rudy (‘15), Stevie Gerovasilis (‘15), and Lucas Spencer (‘15) are put on their goggles and aprons to get ready for the Christmas ornament lab they are about to complete. Many of the students liked Chemistry club so much because they didn’t need to complete “lab write ups” or use exact measurements.