Banning TikTok is the new trend

Rakim Hill, Reporter

TikTok is a video app launched in Sept. 2016. The app has gained popularity around the world with 3 billion downloads since its launch. Recently, TikTok has been a threat to many countries after it was accused of sharing user data with the Chinese government. CEO of TikTok Shou Zi Chew denied these accusations stating, “TikTok has never shared, or received a request to share, U.S. user data with the Chinese government,” Mr. Chew also said, “Nor would TikTok honor such a request if one were ever made.” 

The White House has requested that U.S. federal agencies delete TikTok from all government issued devices due to security concerns. 34 out of 50 states have banned TikTok from government devices. Some of these states include Montana, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania. 

Many universities have taken action to this matter as well. For example, the University of Texas at Arlington, Oklahoma State University, Morgan State University, Auburn University, have all banned TikTok from being accessed on their Wi-Fi networks. 

Many people in high school don’t like the idea of TikTok being banned. Many people use TikTok as a source of entertainment. 

“I use TikTok for entertainment and to pass time,” Skye Ackley (‘24) said. 

TikTok is also a very time-consuming app. People scroll through TikTok for hours and don’t realize how long they’ve been scrolling. 

“I use TikTok 3 hours per day,” Samantha Duenas (‘26) said. 

Although TikTok is a good source of entertainment and a way for people to pass their time, its time consuming as well. Even though TikTok is being banned from government issued devices for security reasons, we should all take a break and manage our time with this app.