Hereford’s women activists take charge

Mathis quotes Maya Angelo on her poster for a protest. She went to the Black Lives Matter protest in Hereford on June 20, 2020.

Maria Maltese, Reporter

Women’s History Month is finally here! Women have worked for their rights and have played a big role in many people’s lives. They are mothers, sisters, grandmothers, stepmothers, friends and teachers to admire. At Hereford, empowered students have marched or protested outside of school to stand up for what is right. 

“I’ve always looked up to my grandmother and dance teachers because they taught me to not be afraid to be yourself and to stand up for what’s right,” Maddie Stead (‘23) said. 

Stead has gone to marches like the New York City Pride and Black Lives Matter protests. Stead wears a Black Lives Matter shirt to school to share her beliefs. She wants to continue to be an open advocate to further her future career. It can be hard to stand for what you think is right as many others will disagree, but these women are not afraid to speak their truth.  

“I think it’s important to go out into the community, advocating for what you believe in,” Hannah Harris (‘24) said. 

On social media, people help to spread awareness by reposting on their stories and sharing information. Gabriela Rodriguez (‘25), Jade Mathis (‘22) and Harris have reposted information on Instagram to bring attention to Black Lives Matter, LGBTQ+ rights, women’s rights, abortion rights, abuse and more. 

“I love speaking to people and friends even when I think it isn’t impactable because it can change the way people see the world,” Mathis said. 

Mathis has also gone to Black Lives Matter protests here during the summer of 2020. She’s always looked up to her mother who raised her on her own. This helped her learn how to become a strong and independent woman. It also helped her learn that women don’t need a male figure because women can be their own role models.  

These protests and social media posts have made a real impact on this tech-focused generation. Many teens are introduced to issues on social media and inspired to help out. 

“I see myself continuing to sign petitions and repost on social media to raise awareness,” Rodriguez said. 

Keep an eye out on social media for posts from friends regarding future protests or ways to help advocate for minority rights.