The student news site of Hereford High School

Hereford Harbinger

Hereford Harbinger

Hereford Harbinger

Maura sews seeds of success

Emma Bowen

Maura Monti (12) has a pretty snazzy internship. She interns at Jill Andrews Gowns in Hampden (Baltimore), Maryland. Jill Andrews Gowns makes custom gowns for weddings, proms, and all sorts of events. Maura interns there as part of the School-to-Career Transition program, which provides work-based learning experiences for students in a variety of occupations. Internship Coordinator, Ms. Cheryl Burkett, says that having an internship helps students make connections and network in the real world.

Jill Andrews made Maura’s prom dress and, one time, during a fitting, Jill offered Maura a position. Maura thought it would be a great opportunity to get in the business and make future connections. Maura stated, “I usually enter all the clients information into their database, cut and sew patterns, [and] sew mock ups (which are like a rough draft to the final garment). They don’t let me touch the final pieces yet, and I can’t say that I blame them.”

Photo by Sara MathesMaura Monti (12) is an intern at Jill Andrews Gowns in Hamden. Her employer, Jill Andrews said, “Maura is reliable and consitant and always great to have in the studio! And, of course, she has a great sense of humor that keeps us smiling while we sew.”
Photo by Sara Mathes
Maura Monti (12) is an intern at Jill Andrews Gowns in Hamden. Her employer, Jill Andrews said, “Maura is reliable and consitant and always great to have in the studio! And, of course, she has a great sense of humor that keeps us smiling while we sew.”

Maura stated, “The only real downside [to my internship] is the drive. Seeing that it is all the way in Hampden, I always have a long drive, and it’s hard on gas.” She intends on majoring in Communications and Public Relations. By working at Jill Andrews Gowns, she has learned more about the business side and the aspects that interest her.

Abby Noble (12), Maura’s good friend stated, “The people she has met and the knowledge she is gaining by working there will most definitely help her later in life!”

Having an internship at such a unique setting and experiencing the industry firsthand is something that Maura seems grateful for. “It’s exciting to be able to work in a place that gives me a taste of a future career possibility, [and] to make relationships with people that could potentially help me when I get out of college with a good job.”