JV sports take on a new look

Provided by Mrs. Amanda Coburn

The JV field hockey team shows off their county championship plaque outside of Coach Coburn’s room, since they couldn’t celebrate on the field.

Jay Goetz, Sports Editor

Beginning this year, juniors can play on Junior Varsity athletic teams. There is a stipulation for this. 11th grade students are not allowed on JV if other JV athletes in another class are cut. This change has led to the elimination of the Junior Varsity Baltimore County championship. The County championship has always been the end goal for JV teams looking to cap off their season. Earning the plaque symbolizes a successful season of high school sports. Losing this opportunity proved to have negative consequences for the teams.  

Emily Meeker (‘25) plays for the JV girls’ soccer team. Meeker notes the impact of the County championship on the rest of the season. 

“It makes our season a bunch of games that don’t lead to anything,” Meeker said. “[It is] a big letdown for all the hard work all season.”  

Teams can lose motivation knowing there is no championship on the line. Meeker mentions how the season feels incomplete. Morale on JV has dropped. 

Having three classes able to play on one team has ruffled feathers. Luke Barnett (‘25), JV boys’ soccer player, voices his opinions regarding the change. 

“If you’re above the JV level you shouldn’t play JV,” Barnett said. 

Barnett adds that juniors playing a sport for the first time should be allowed on JV as they have the same experience level as their teammates. However, it may be unfair for someone who has played a sport for two years to continue their athletic career on JV. 

A reasonable fear for JV teams is that other teams will place varsity talent on JV in order to dominate the competition. This is one of the reasons for getting rid of JV Baltimore County championship. 

Varsity boys’ basketball head coach Jim Rhoads had to decide where he stood on this topic. For his team, the changes do not affect the squad. Nonetheless, Rhoads has thoughts. 

“They [county officials] were trying to make the JV experience more about learning to play and developing them as athletes and teams as opposed to win at all costs,” Rhoads said.  

Rhoads believes this was the driving force for the county-wide changes. JV fall sports season is over.  

Despite not competing in a Baltimore County championship, Hereford JV sports are home to some hardware. Boys’ soccer, field hockey and girls’ cross country all took home a plaque to showcase their successful season.