The Internet reaches a new level of strange

Emma Charles, Reporter

With the colder months rolling around we’re all going to be spending more time cozying up on the couch, probably on our phones, let’s be honest; we’re all addicted. The more time I spend on social media and the internet, the more terrifying and strange I realize it is. Who knew people got enjoyment out of watching other people rub bread on their faces (@breadfaceblog) or that people would pay girls to insult and embarrass them? I’m not going to lie, I think it’s beyond weird, but you do you, girlfriend. I literally eat cold hotdogs and have a Harry Potter memorabilia collection; we are all a little weird.
Financial Domination or “Findom” for short, is a fetish lifestyle where a submissive known typically as a “pay pig” pays a dominant known as a “money mistress” to insult him. Sometimes if he’s super extra, he’ll pay the money mistress to send him tasks to do that embarrass him in public, an example being pretending he’s a dog in a public place. In all but rare cases, these two involved in this relationship never meet, it’s all through the internet, usually through media platforms like Twitter or Instagram. Just search #paypig or #findom, and you’ll find it. Besides the occasional toe pic if you’re lucky, this deal is all about humiliation. Why pay for that? Just go to high school and you’ll get your share of it anyway.
Autonomous sensory meridian response (you know of this as ASMR), is an experience characterized by a static-like or tingling sensation on the skin that typically begins on the scalp and moves down the back of the neck and upper spine. Sounds pretty normal and relaxing right, maybe even therapeutic? Except recently, it’s been the trend to post videos of people eating food to give you that sensation. I don’t know about you, but watching people slurp the buffalo sauce off of their chicken wings just doesn’t do it for me. If you’re like me and follow at least 50+ meme accounts, I’m sure you’ve seen @lifewithmak2005 eating her honeycomb on your feed, so you know exactly what I’m talking about. Leave the chomping noises for your own kitchen table.
I’m not quite sure what to call this one, but if you’re reading this, search @breadfaceblog on Instagram. This account is stocked with videos of “Bread Face” rubbing her face in, well you guessed it, bread! She is verified with 202K followers, so apparently people enjoy spending their time watching people rub food on their bodies. If you’re interested, there is a whole variety of videos, pizza, maple syrup, you name it. But I mean who are we to judge? I bet a good amount of us participated in the ice cream drive-thru challenge from a few years back—you know the one where you took the ice cream cone and smeared it all over your chest while the employee looked at you like you had approximately 27 heads.
Just because it is kind of strange doesn’t mean you shouldn’t enjoy it though. No one is above their weird internet kinks. Trust me, I probably have one of the absolute strangest collection of saved memes on Instagram. So, we don’t judge here. Let your freak flag fly. It’s 2k18. Being normal is soooo last year.