Susan Slater earns runner-up for Counselor of the Year

+Susan+Slater%2C+the+runner-up+for+Counselor+of+the+Year%2C+has+been+working+at+Hereford+since+2011.++She+has+really+helped+me+adjust+to+the+school%2C+Georgia+Cowie+%28%E2%80%9920%29+said.+She+is+extremely+caring+and+helpful%2C+and+I+can+always+go+to+her+if+I+have+a+problem.+++

Photo taken by Anna DeLibro

Susan Slater, the runner-up for Counselor of the Year, has been working at Hereford since 2011. “She has really helped me adjust to the school,” Georgia Cowie (’20) said. “She is extremely caring and helpful, and I can always go to her if I have a problem.”

Anna DeLibro, Reporter

On Friday, May 11, counselor Susan Slater was recognized as being the runner up for Advisor of the Year.  These awards are selected by the Baltimore County Association for Counseling and Development, with help from recommendations submitted by Hereford teachers.  Slater has been working at Hereford since 2011, but worked at other schools prior, such as Lansdowne Middle and Loch Raven Academy.  She specializes in academic, career, and social/emotional development, as do the other three counselors at Hereford.   

The Maryland School Counselor Association describes the criteria for Counselor of the Year: “The applicant must demonstrate leadership and collaboration in his or her work and promote equity and access to opportunities and rigorous educational experiences for all students to maximize student achievement.”  The association also nominates those who, “have the ability and skills necessary to represent school counseling in a professional manner, including but not limited to high-quality written communication and public-speaking skills.”  Through her hard-work and dedication, Slater has achieved this recognition and met these criteria.  

Not only has she received the recognition for runner-up to Maryland Counselor of the Year, she also has many other successes. 

“I completed an Advanced Study Degree in College Counseling and my Administration One certification,” Slater said.  She is also a member/team leader for the Baltimore County Traumatic Loss team since 2005, and although she feels like this is not an accomplishment, she said it is a rewarding role.   

“I found out [I had been recognized for the award] on May 3 by the President of the Baltimore County Association for Counseling and Development (BCACD),” Slater said.   

She also said that it is an honor to be recognized for her passion, but also a recognition to be shared. 

“It is a recognition I share with so many people both professionally and personally,” Slater said,

Slater’s favorite part of her job is working with students, and Georgia Cowie (’20) has been heavily influenced by Slater’s passion to help others.  

“She has really helped me adjust to the school,” Cowie said. “She is extremely caring and helpful, and I can always go to her if I have a problem.”   

Cowie also said Slater is a very welcoming person, and genuinely cares about her students.  

Slater has future goals for her work at Hereford, “I want to continue to support students on this part of their journey as they prepare for their future college and career,” Slater said.