Students and teachers describe feminism in their own words

Lily+Potter+%2820%29+speaks+out%2C+advocating+moderate+feminism+at+Hereford.+

Photo provided by Maggy Parks

Lily Potter (’20) speaks out, advocating moderate feminism at Hereford.

Maggy Parks, Reporter

Although the Oxford Dictionary describes feminism as “the advocacy of women’s rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes,” everyone has their own personal meaning of the word. I asked community members how they describe feminism, and this is what they said:

“Feminism is allowing men and women the same rights,” Konrad Shire (’18) said.
“Feminism is a way for women to come together,” Val Garcia (’19) said.

“Feminism is the fight for equality of women,” Lily Potter (’20) said.

“Feminism is equality between genders,” Bailey Perez (’20) said.

“Feminism is the belief that men and women should be treated, and are, equal,” Gaige DuBois (’19) said.

“Feminism is the empowerment of women and making sure they have the same rights as everyone else,” Jacob Warner (’21).

“Feminism is when men and women share equal rights,” Charles Scheps (’18) said.

“Feminism is a movement, currently, that depicts why or why not women should have equal rights,” Anna Nash (’18) said.

“Feminism is a progressive goal of equality between the genders in all subjects relating to daily life, relationships, the work place, student life, political power, and economic power,” Mr. Imhoff said.

“Feminism is a misunderstood community, from the outside looking in people see extremists but if you take the time to understand what they’re fighting for, you can see…they’re fighting for equal rights for everyone,” Max Overmier (’18) said.

“Feminism is, to me, being strong with who you are and comfortable with who you are and having a vision and knowing how to go about and execute that vision for yourself, in order to make the people around you better,” Mrs. Blama said.

“Feminism is fighting for rights of women when men are treated as superior,” Rachel Saunders (’19) said.

“Feminism is the belief that women should have equal rights,” Mrs. Moran said.