What about Thanksgiving?

Students+are+excited+about+the+holiday+season.+They+decorated+the+board+in+Christmas+spirit+already.+

Photo Provided by Emily McNicolas

Students are excited about the holiday season. They decorated the board in Christmas spirit already.

Emily McNicholas, Reporter

The day after Halloween I walk into my class to see “Merry Christmas” written on the board in bright green and red Expo marker with Christmas lights as the boarder.  Don’t get me wrong, I love Christmas, but I think it’s a little too soon.  As I sat down to begin my rant that Christmas is celebrated way too early, someone decides to play Christmas music in the background.  The girls scream in their high-pitched voice “OMG I’m SOO excited for Christmas!!”  I get it. It’s exciting. We all love getting presents, but why can’t we celebrate how thankful we are first?

Thanksgiving seems to be overlooked more and more as the years go on.  I haven’t heard one person express how happy they are that Thanksgiving is just around the corner.  Then, as I go on Facebook or VSCO I see posts about Christmas being only 8 Mondays away!

I have my Birthday to look forward before Christmas occurs.  I’ll receive one round of presents for my birthday before the next that will come from the big guy.  Students are already sending their Christmas lists to their parents in order for them to start shopping.

If we are being honest, Thanksgiving food is the best.  Mash potatoes, cranberry sauce, stuffing, broccoli, corn, bread, and turkey.  Can’t get much better than that. But, Christmas food varies from family to family and isn’t as universal.

The Macy’s Thanksgiving day parade is the largest parade in the world which takes place in New York City.  The parade has been around for 93 years while the famous Christmas Parade in Hollywood has only been around for a little over 80 years.  Since 1924 Santa has appeared at the end of every Macy’s Thanksgiving parade letting the celebration of Christmas begin.

So are students really excited for Christmas or the fact that winter break comes with it?  I guess it’s both for me.  I do love Christmas, and the break that comes along with it is much needed.  We stuff our faces with pounds of food and desserts while we figure out how to use our new gadgets and sit around all day because it’s too cold to go outside or we might be sick with the flu.

Follow the radio stations and only start obsessing over Christmas after Thanksgiving or when black Friday arrives, but until then, Happy Thanksgiving!