The student news site of Hereford High School

Hereford Harbinger

Hereford Harbinger

Hereford Harbinger

“Pain is Beauty” philosophy prompts stiletto surgical fad

Emma Bowen

In the classic children’s story Cinderella, the hero of the story is the glass slipper. The whole question surrounding the story is “Does the shoe fit?” In the Grimm brothers’ original story of Cinderella, the evil step-sisters cut off their pinky toes and heels to fit into the glass slipper. This is like a recent fad where women cut off their pinky toes so they will have a more comfortable fit into their stiletto heels.

Surgical procedures such as shortening toes, receiving fat injections and even cutting off a whole pinky toe are on the rise. A procedure called “foot narrowing” shaves off bunions or removes a pinky toe to make the foot more slender. “Foot padding” injects fat into the foot pad to provide more cushioning. Susan Deming a woman who recently underwent cosmetic foot surgery told FOX News, “Unless you’ve been there, and you can’t find shoes, and you’re in pain, don’t judge.”

“Surgery performed solely for the purpose of improving the appearance or size of the foot or ankle carries risks without medical benefit, and therefore should not be undertaken” according to the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. Many people in the medical field say that any surgery is dangerous and foot surgery purely for cosmetic purposes is not a good idea.

Colin McMahon (12) said that the whole idea of mutilating your feet to fit in high heels is “pretty messed up.”

Olivia Arnold (11) stated “It’s disgusting, crazy, and unnecessary.”

So whether you think undergoing foot surgery to fit into a pair of stiletto heels is necessary or completely ridiculous, prom season—and heels—are upon us.