The student news site of Hereford High School

Hereford Harbinger

Hereford Harbinger

Hereford Harbinger

Public faces private school lacrosse

Adam Ceribelli

Spencer Parks (the third best ranked senior in the 2012 class) of St. Paul’s takes the ball up top. He dodges down the left alley and rolls back to throw a pass across the middle, but it’s intercepted by Austin Brown! The senior takes the ball down the field throws it across to attackman Jason Ashwood (11) who then quickly releases it to Joe Seider (12). Joe steps up and rips the bottom right corner of the goal right past the goalies hip for the game winner and the team rushes the field. Public wins over Private for the first time in many years, Hereford takes down St. Paul’s school of Baltimore.

Last year the Hereford varsity lacrosse team added two private schools to their schedule, St. Paul’s School and Gilman School, both of Baltimore. The Bulls lost their first match to Gilman 10-3 but bounced back a week later and beat St. Paul’s in overtime. “It was just huge win for our program,” said Jason, “We shocked the lacrosse world when we, a public school team, took down an MIAA team.”

The Bulls used the game as a statement showing that they were prepared to play anyone and prevail. The team then went on to win their 5th consecutive state championship, tying the state record of eight state championships for a single school. (The other school is Dulaney). “The Strive 4 Five” was the motto behind their successful season, but now, in 2013, the Bulls return a strong senior class and endeavor for their 6th straight state championship. With success comes challenge, so the team has added 3 different private schools to their schedule this year. They kicked off their season at St. Paul’s on Friday March 22. The following week they took Gilman at home on Wednesday March 27. Their last private school game was Tuesday April 2nd against Loyola Blakefield at home.

“I like playing these schools because they get to talk all year long about being ranked nationally,” said Jack Adams (12). “We don’t get national recognition, so I love getting the chance to prove who we are,” he said.

Jack is a midfielder, for the Bulls, and he committed to Towson University. He returns this season after being picked first team all-metro by The Baltimore Sun newspaper. He has played on the varsity squad for the past three years and has experienced games against private schools. “Like I said, I love playing these schools but at the end of May, we need to achieve the ultimate goal of winning the state championship. No matter what the outcome of these games may be, we need to stay humble and focused. It is my senior year and I want to end it right.”