Catcher Jon Marchineck teaches leadership skills

Photo povided by Jon Marchineck

Marchineck stands ready to swing as a freshman on the Varsity baseball team.

Will Wilkinson, Reporter

Senior baseball captain Jon Marchineck (’17) has been chosen as the April Athlete of the Month. Marchineck has been playing baseball for almost his entire life, adding four years as a member of the varsity team. Marchineck has played catcher, first base, and outfield while playing for Hereford; however, he cemented himself as the starting catcher during his freshman year.

Marchineck played on the Futures baseball team for rising baseball talent in the state of Maryland. Marchineck made the team as a sophomore and junior playing the catcher position. The game is called the MSABC Classic and is held in Bowie, Maryland where Jon started for the North team as their catcher.

“Jon is a great leader, he easily controls a group and can bring the team together when he needs to,” teammate Travis Elseroad (’17) said.

Marchineck has posted a high school batting average of above 0.400 while bombing 1 actual home run while having one disputed by the Perry Hall umpire. In a game against Perry Hall High School Jon cracked a home run that was called a ground rule double but according to Jon and Coach Evans was very clearly a home run.

“He always has a positive outlook on the game,” teammate Jake Fultz (’18), “He is always there for everyone and knows how to get everyone going on the field.”

Marchineck also participated in football for his four years of high school where he started as the quarterback for his senior season. Jon suffered a concussion towards the end of the football season causing him to miss one game. Jon lead the Bulls to an undefeated 10-0 record in the regular while also notching one playoff win against Overlea.

“Jon shows his teammates how to play baseball the right way,” teammate Jimmy Kells (’19) said. “He teaches great leadership skills and is an example for us all.”

Marchineck was nominated for and won Hereford’s Athletic Scholar award and competed to be one of five winners to receive a scholarship. Jon received the scholarship for his excellence on the field and in the classroom as he has maintained a near perfect grade point average through all four years of high school.

Marchineck plans to attend Vanderbilt University in the fall, where he will major in Engineering.