A Summer for the Century

Students are witnessing the longest summer they’ve ever seen yet.  Though some students were disappointed with the few snow days this year, the consequences are going to be enjoyed because school ends June 9.  Not only is school ending early, it’s going to start after Labor Day during the 2017-2018 school year.

The third quarter is notorious for being a difficult quarter because testing is being ramped up in classes, especially AP, in order to prepare students for finals and mastery of all subjects.  The pressure is also increased due to students trying to clinch the grades they want; the third quarter grade is critical because it is usually the determining factor in a student’s overall class grade.

Given the pressures of grades, finals, and AP exams, students are desperate for summer—over two months of workless, test-less days; pure free time for students to relax, hang out with friends, and enjoy the warm weather.

Spring break, though a mind-easing vacation, is an evil temptation.  It is simply a sample of summer that only serves in creating more anxiousness in every student.  Teachers may give students work to complete or study to prepare for post-spring break exams, but let’s get real, no one is going to do that work.

Not only are students looking forward to the extended summer, teachers are looking forward to it as well.

Mr. Brown, substitute, explained his summer plans—“I look forward to continuing my research in the Great war, reading a lot, traveling a little, and building more toys.”

Continue studying over the summer?  Though many students may give an astounding no, some students are exploring their interests through internships and other academic pursuits.

“I look forward to learning about astrophysics and becoming familiar with Johns Hopkins campus,” said Eddie Lee (’18).

However, kids are kids, and most are looking forward to being study-free for a couple months.  With the extended summer, squeezing every ounce of fun out of it is important.

“I’m just going to hang, chill, and relax with my friends,” said Tony O’Toole.

One thing to consider is that sports are starting earlier—August 9.  This means summer training will be starting earlier, which basically means running is starting earlier.  Cross country, field hockey, football, and soccer start in fall, which all take place outdoors and require conditioning (as fall sport athletes know).  So yes, this summer gives students more time to not worry about grades, but fall sports preparation begins earlier than usual.

“I’m definitely not looking forward to beginning conditioning earlier, nor am I actually going to do it,” said Taylor Hackett (’18).

Besides the fact that sports are beginning earlier, one benefit of this summer is planning more vacations.  Vacations are pretty much what summer is about, and most can agree.  You can go to Puerto Rico and not have to do work on the airplane that is being covered next week.  With even more time relax this summer, some students are planning big vacations in advance.

Dawson Jones (’18) said, “My family is planning a trip to Las Vegas this year, and with more summer days in June, I might be able to have a meet and greet with Dan Bilzerian.”

The number one priority for students is to finish off the school year strong as the fourth quarter emerges.  But as everyone knows, once that is over, students won’t want to be inside a school until September 5.