Teachers win Rematch 47-46

Max Herbkersman, Sports Editor

• Me and my fellow coach, Tim Briggs.

• To view images chronologically, click the back arrow.

All photos by Emma Coleman

The long-awaited basketball rematch between teachers and seniors ended with a teacher win, 47-46. Faculty, students, parents, and other Hereford Zone community members looking for a night of fun filled the stands, helping to raise thousands of dollars for the Class of 2017.

In a new form of Pep Rally, the Class of 2017 squared off in a basketball game against a full squad of teachers on October 7. Then, the seniors fell short and lost to the teachers 23-17. They demanded justice, and on March 10 they held the “Rematch,” which both served as a fundraiser to help the seniors finance Prom and the Senior Picnic and gave the seniors an opportunity to take back the gold.

A full-length game, with four twelve-minute quarters, was played. It started as a back and forth affair, as both teams were making shots and running smooth offense. The seniors were led on offense by Sheron Sen (’17), while the teachers were led by physical education teacher John Walter and Assistant Principal William Brown.

By halftime the students were ahead of the teachers. As spectators grabbed Chick-fil-a sandwiches from the snack stand and players guzzled bottles of water, the band “Blame it on September” performed for the crowd. The band is comprised of lead singer Matt Ryan (’18), guitarists Charlie Speno (’18) and Carter Frazier (’18), and drummer Jacob Kline (’19).

Spectators soon took their seats and the game continued. The final quarter of the game was fast paced. The teachers soon took the lead, but after a few lead changes and a series of successful shots by the seniors, the teachers were down by one. With only a few seconds remaining, Brown hit a corner three to seal the teachers’ second victory.