Hereford Graduate Speaks About Trip to Africa

Photo by: Kelsey Trewin

Kelsey Trewin travels to many regions in South Africa. She took this picture on one of her daily outings.

Anna Jerrems, Reporter

Hereford graduate, Kelsey Trewin, spoke at the PTSA meeting on February 8, 2017 about her trip recent trip to Africa.
Trewin is a leading member in the Maryland Future Farmers of America program. She discussed varying agricultural methods at the meeting.
“The FFA mission is to make a positive difference in the lives of students by developing their potential for premier leadership, personal growth and career success through agricultural education,” according to the website.
Trewin traveled to South Africa for the international leadership seminar for state officers from Jan. 4-17.
She visited Pretoria, Johanasburg, and Cape Town.
She also visited several smaller towns throughout her trip. The native people in South Africa “were some of the kindest people I met,” Trewin said.
“We visited a shanty town and one man said he doesn’t need to travel the world because people come visit and then his world can live on,” she said.
Shane Jacques is the manager of state officer programs for the National FFA Organization. In past years, FFA officers have been sent to Argentina and China.
This year South Africa was chosen because of “the country’s emerging economy, rich history, and diverse culture lend the students a perspective we’ve never been able to provide to this program,” Jacques said.
“Particularly with the recent passing of Nelson Mandela, these students will have a front seat for cultural immersion,” Jacques said.