English students prepare for Rotary’s Four Way Test

Photo provided by Sierra Webb

Caitlin Giangola (’19) said she is anxious about memorizing her essay.

Sierra Webb, Reporter

The Four Way test students in each grade are preparing to write and research speeches as part of the Rotary Club the school wide competition will conclude in mid-March. The Four Way Test was created to encourage interest in current event issues and to help students learn about business ethics. The program emphasizes the importance of learning speaking skills while presenting an argumentative speech.

The participant chooses the current event of his/her choice and plans, researches, and writes their essay. Students are given two weeks to complete this assignment, and must memorize the essay. They will compete during their English or theater class for a grade and the teacher will decide who the two best speakers.

Once the two best speakers from each class are chosen, they move onto the school competition during the third week of March in the auditorium and the winner receives $100. The winners from each school move onto the regional competition and that winner receives $250. The regional winners continue to advance to the state competition where they will compete for $500. Lastly, the regional winners compete at he Rotary competition for $200.

In 2014 Hereford Student, Lorenz Iverson (’15), won the Rotary Convention and still holds that title to this day. But the Rotary Club is not just about teaching students effective ways to speak in front of their peers but to discuss a stance.

“Any stance you take affects you and everyone around you,” Theater teacher Robert Rose said. Rose is an avid Four Way test supporter and, he believes that speaking skills are important to influence and practice.

English teacher Michelle Stachura is prepare her students for the essay. “They’re writing their speeches the first week in February,” Stachura said.

All grades are participating in this speech, the two best speakers of each class are picked and move onto the county level.

“It’s a good opportunity for every grade level of students to put research to work,” Stachura said.

Athena Sackleh (’18) and Lindsey McNicholas (’18) are two participants in Satchura’s AP English class. McNicholas is writing about assistant suicide and believes that speaking about her topic to her peers will be beneficial.

“It pushes us to go deep,” Sackleh said. “It’s a lot of work, but it’s interesting.”

English teacher Lisa Sopher has been taking her students to the library where they can research their topic on the computers.

“I think it’s a good way to express your opinion,” Sydney Pursley (’19) said.

Participants will be given five to seven minutes to present their speech to the class.

“It’s stressful but it will be beneficial,” Caitlin Giancola (’19) said.

Photo provided by Sierra Webb
Sophia Rubino (’19) begins researching her topic on the computer