The student news site of Hereford High School

Hereford Harbinger

Hereford Harbinger

Hereford Harbinger

Hereford awards three National Merit Scholars

Henry Bison     On February 6, Maggie Cason (12), Connor O’Rourke (12), and Chrissy Dreyer (12) were recognized as National Merit Scholars, a prestigious scholarship given to high-achieving students each year. In addition to the three winners, Hereford also had 13 commended students who were recognized for their academic accomplishments.

“It [felt] great [to receive the award]. My parents were proud, I was really proud of myself…. To receive it was really cool,” said Chrissy. Chrissy received the exact score equivalent of her PSAT on her SAT, and, while not yet having any definitive plans for college, plans to major in the field of art.

Photo by Mr. Andrew LastSeniors Maggie Cason, Connor O’Rourke, and Chrissy Dreyer stand proudly as they receive their National Merit Scholarship. They earned this prestigious honor by scoring highly on their PSATs.
Photo by Mr. Andrew Last
Seniors Maggie Cason, Connor O’Rourke, and Chrissy Dreyer stand proudly as they receive their National Merit Scholarship. They earned this prestigious honor by scoring highly on their PSATs.

Maggie has expressed her excitement for winning the award, “A lot of colleges give scholarships for [the award], so it’s a nice advantage to have,” said Maggie. Maggie claims the key to her success was reading through SAT practice tests before taking the PSAT. While no official college plans have been determined, Maggie plans to double major in Genetics and Music.

“I’m excited, but a little surprised,” said Connor. Connor has also not yet committed to a college, but plans to major in either Mechanical Engineering or Computer Science.     Last year no students won National Merit Scholarships, so, as Mrs. Slater said, “[This year] was a good year for Hereford.”