Athletes sign national letters of intent

Photo by Max Herbkersman

Senior athletes gather in th library on Nov. 11 to sign their national letters of intent. From left to right: Erin Collins, Kelly Wesolowski, Lauren Litsinger, Campbell Carr, Graeme Eber, Andrew Clark, Caroline Peterson, Joey Chesnutt.

Max Herbkersman, Sports Editor

On Nov. 11 eight athletes from Hereford began to take the next step in their athletic lives. Lacrosse has always been dominant at Hereford, and this year five out of the eight students have committed to play Division I and II lacrosse.

Joey Chestnutt (’17), Campbell Carr (’17) and Caroline Peterson (’17) have all committed to play Division I lacrosse, while Andrew Clark (’17) and Graeme Eber (’17) have committed to play Division II.

The remaining athletes have all committed to play Division I sports. Erin Collins (’17) has committed to play Division I softball, Lauren Litsinger (’17) will be playing field hockey, and Kelly Wesolowski (’17) will run cross country and track and field.

Chestnutt will be playing lacrosse at Towson University, along with past Hereford graduates Joe Patti (’16) and Adam Cerebelli (’14). “I’m looking forward to being part of the tradition and family that has been started and has been continued through Towson University,” Chestnutt said. Chestnutt has played two years for the varsity lacrosse team, this coming spring will be his third.

Peterson has committed to play lacrosse at Marquette University in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. She has spent two years playing for the varsity girls’ team; her third season will come this spring. “I’m excited to meet everyone and play lacrosse at the next level,” Peterson said.

Collins will play softball at Rutgers University in New Brunswick, New Jersey. Collins has played four years of volleyball, and three years of softball; this spring will be her final season. “I’m really excited to play competitively in college and to get a great experience of being a student athlete,” Collins said. “I’m really excited to play at the next level.”

Carr will continue his lacrosse career at Mount St. Mary’s University, in Emmitsburg, Maryland. Playing college lacrosse has been a dream of his since he was a child. “I’m just looking forward to the college experience,” Carr said. “It’s been my dream ever since I was a little kid to play college lacrosse, so [I’m] accomplishing one of dreams that I’ve had.”

Wesolowski, has been dominant at Hereford, helping to bring multiple state championships to the cross country and track and field teams. She will attend the University of Delaware in Newark, Delaware. “I’m excited for the competitions and to be part of a college team, I think, is pretty special,” she said.

Litsinger has played four seasons of field hockey for Hereford, helping to lead them to three consecutive state championships. Litsinger will be going south to play field hockey at Appalachian State University, in Boone, North Carolina. “I’m excited to explore a new state,” she said, and “to meet a lot of new people down in that area.”

Eber will also be attending a southern school, as she has committed to play lacrosse at the University of Tampa, in Tampa, Florida. Eber has played three seasons of lacrosse for Hereford this spring will be her fourth. “I’m excited to get out of the Hereford Zone, and to play sports at the next level,” she said.

Clark will attend Seton Hill University in Greensburg, Pennsylvania, to play lacrosse. Clark has been playing varsity lacrosse since his sophomore year and will play his final season for Hereford this spring. “I’m looking forward to getting some playing time for a Division II college,” he said and to “hopefully show off [his] skill.”