The student news site of Hereford High School

Hereford Harbinger

Hereford Harbinger

Hereford Harbinger

Our view: Adults must talk about sex

Being a teenager in today’s society comes with a unique set of trials and tribulations: act this way, dress this way, be unique but make sure your uniqueness is just like everyone else. Be different in a way that makes sense, but don’t forget to fit in.

So, what about sex? People have no problem telling us how to look and which way to act, but to talk about sexuality is still taboo. In a twisted time warp, adults still seem to think that sweeping sex under the rug will keep the issue out of sight and out of mind, but thanks to our glorified reality T.V. culture, “ignorance” is no longer an option. Shows about non-stop partying and teen pregnancy crowd the airways, and though these shows try to claim that they are not at all idolizing this kind of behavior, they no doubt showcase it for everyone to watch. Sex sells, sure, but at what cost? If teens are gaining their knowledge about sex from late night reality T.V. shows, that alone is a cause for change in the way our society views teenage sexuality.

But wait— Health is a graduation requirement, and the teachers have an entire unit on sex ed complete with an STD slideshow meant to scare each viewer away from intimacy for at least the reminder of his/her high school career. For some, this may be enough. For most? A few reminders to use protection and make smart decisions just aren’t enough. We are warned of the risks, yet the nurse is not even permitted to hand out contraceptives—how does this make sense? A candid conversation is what this generation really needs. No more tip-toeing around the issue. Much like drugs, the more this society treats sex like the elephant in the room, the bigger the animal becomes. Regardless of political affiliation, religious beliefs, or family opinion, an open dialogue between parent and child is the only way to combat these underlying issues.

The Harbinger staff recognizes the delicacy of these topics, and is in no way trying to force any type of belief on anyone. We want to inform students about the truth, while encouraging others to stop turning a blind eye on the topic of teenage sexuality. It exists. It is not something that can be cured by ignorance or avoidance, and, with any luck, we hope that this issue will spark conversation, not controversy. An educated student body is an intelligent student body, and in some instances, though we dare not admit it, this generation can only be as great as the adults in their lives.