The student news site of Hereford High School

Hereford Harbinger

Hereford Harbinger

Hereford Harbinger

October 22

Varsity Field Hockey

The Varsity Field Hockey team won their 5th straight Baltimore County Championship this past Thrusday with a win over rival Dulaney 2-1. Mary Claire Abbott scored the first goal of the game when she scored off a penalty stroke that was awarded in the 1st half of the game. Dulaney tied up the game before halftime. Caitlin Abbott scored Hereford’s game winning goal in the 2nd half off an asist from Mary Claire during one of the team’s 10 corner plays. The midfield and defense had a stellar performance led by Caitlin Abbott, Kendra Herbenar, Lacy Aghazarian, Samantha Janecek, Sarah Smith, Rebecca Schmidt, Shannon Martello, and goalkeeper Jessie Lynch. The team has improved their record to 13-0, and will face Franklin this Thursday at home for the Regional Quarterfinal game.

Cross Country

On Saturday at the Baltiomre County Cross Country Championships, your cross country team once again dominated the competition. The boys varsity team won its fifth title, while the girls team wo its third staight. Also, in the most exciting race of the day, the girls JV team raced by Dulaney in the final 10 meters to claim their first title since 2009.

In the boys varstiy race, the Hereford boys logged the second lowest point total in county history, defeating second-place Catonsville by 48 points. Julian Rivera finished second; Jon Luckin, third; Kevin Payne, fourth; Kevin Collins, fifth; Gabe Rivera, sixth.

The girls varsity team also posted an impressive win by placing four girls in the top-ten. Meghan Anderson was the top Hereford finisher. She finished second. Teammates Eric Causey, Alicia Kozlowski, Morgan Oakley finished 4th, 7th, and 9th respectively. Uriel Lee, Alaina McCleary, and Emilay Arnold ran excellent races.

The girls JV race was full of excitment. Sarah Coffey finished first overall. Emily Causey and Shelby Langlois, meanwhile, finished second and third. The real excitment, however; occuredd when Jessie Cornwell and Caitlyn Katchmar kicked down several Dulaney runners int he final 10 meters of the race to seal the victory. Madison Wood and Cori Beck also added top-fifteen finshes.

The boys JV team finished second overall. Russel Carter, however; was the individual champion. Adam Der, Ethan Batchelor, and Connor Schattal also poster excellent performances.

In the final race of the day, Mike Witman, Nick PIndale, Tom Adle, and Jake Butler finished in the top-four positions to lead the boys to a first-place performance in the open race. The girls, who finished second in the open race, were paced by TOri Dougherty’s second place performance.

Congratulations to all athletes. Any athlete who posted a personal record should see Coach Bowman today to recieve your skull.

Indoor Track 

There will be an important informational meeting for all prospective 2012-2013 indoor track members during enrichment on Wednesday, October 25th. All boys interested in the program will meet in room 212 during first half, and girls will meet during second half, also in room 212. Please sign up on the wall outside of room 212 prior to thursdy morning.

Varsity Volleyball

The girls Varsity Volleyball team deafeated Towson on Thursday to earn a spot in the Blatimore County Champioship game. The Bulls will play Dulaney on Thursday at 7:00 p.m. for the championship. Congrats to all of the plalyers and good luck on Thursday.

JV Volleyball

Attention all JV Volleyball players- please return your cleaned uniform to Coach Czan ASAP or bring to the banquet tomorrow night.