Silence throughout the halls of Hereford

On April 17th, Hereford High’s GSA participated in the national Day of Silence to help raise awareness about anti-LGBTQ bullying and harassment in schools. Students were asked to write down their names and remain silent throughout the day in order to help end the silence faced with LGBTQ students and their allies.

A table was set up in the front lobby from April 13th to the actual Day of Silence, selling Day of Silence and supportive LGBTQ buttons for a dollar, providing stickers and speaking cards for the students to show their support, and a general donation box that will go towards the GSA and GLSEN (Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network), a national organization dedicated to ending anti-gay bias in schools. Posters were also hung up throughout the school in preparation for the event.

Abi Lightner (’17), Mallory Longest (’17), and Michael Anthony (’18), members of the GSA, helped mandate the table on multiple days throughout the week.

“There aren’t many ways to peacefully show LGBT support and I feel that this one is very effective.” Abi said.

“Some schools [in Maryland] don’t even have their own GSA clubs.” Mallory said. “So it’s really cool our school holds this event.”

GSA advisor Samuel Tillman encourages to help hold this event every year. He feels that it’s important to have a day to be reminded that LGBTQ students are still harassed and bullied by their peers in school despite national progression of gay marriage and equality throughout the United States.

There were 121 students who participated on the Day of Silence as well as various donations and button sales.

“These [LGBTQ] students are still a part of the Hereford community and this is a chance to make them visible; to make them heard through silence.” Tillman said.