Hereford Boys Basketball clinches County Championship berth

“Definitely the most intense Hereford basketball game of all time,” said Matt Carey (’15).

No. 15 Hereford varsity basketball defeated No. 8 Dulaney on Friday night in the Hereford High School gym.

As the buzzer went off, the Hereford student section wildly stormed the court, surrounding the victorious players as the Dulaney team hurriedly left the gym, their student section quiet. The final score was 74-66, and even though Hereford’s lead was comfortably in double digits for over half the game, the fans hung on to every single dribble of the ball.

“The crowd was very loud and into the game the whole time,” said Lizzie Bienert (’15). “I thought the bleachers were going to collapse we were cheering so hard.”

With two minutes left in the fourth quarter, Dulaney cut the deficit to five points, but the Bulls finished the game with a 3-0 run. Five of Hereford’s starters scored double digits; Scott Isett (’15) with 17 points, Gabe Ceribelli (’15) with 15 points, Chase Waganer (’15) with 11 points, Ben Bittner (’15) with 10 points, and Aaron Geschwilm (’15) with 10 points.

“It was very competitive and enjoyable to watch,” said Caroline Gutberlet (’18).

With the win, Hereford advances to Tuesday night’s Baltimore County Championship game at 7 PM against Woodlawn High School at Towson University’s SECU Arena, the first time in school history. The Bulls have a record of 18-2.

“The Baltimore County Championship game is history in the making,” said Jamal Cody (’15). “The team feeds off [the fan’s] energy, and we’re going to walk away with a victory.”