Science society presents research

• Ryan Rudy (’15) looks over Maddie Hoover (’15) to assist in a calculation. SNHS held a meeting for students to present PowerPoints on E-cigs and fertilization methods.

Hereford High School’s Science National Honor Society (SNHS) met today, as they do every other Friday, to view two PowerPoint presentations. SNHS secretary, Subhashini Arumugam (’15) and member Kendall Rodier (’15) were the presenters.

“I like SNHS because Mr. Smith has people come from universities and other institutions to guest speak. Those presentations are actually really interesting and the ones that members give are cool as well,” said Christy Ivey (’16).

Arumugam’s presentation explored mitochondrial disorders and transfers, specifically cytoplasmic transfers. Not familiar with biotechnology? Neither was I. Basically, cytoplasmic transfers are used to assist in infertility whereby cytoplasm from a donor egg is injected into an egg with unhealthy mitochondria. The hybrid egg is then fertilized with sperm and surgically implanted in a womb.

Rodier’s exposition was focused around a more mundane concept, electronic cigarettes. E-cigs, as they are commonly called, are battery-powered vaporizers which give a similar feel to tobacco smoking. Though they do not contain tobacco, they do contain nicotine, a drug that is linked to habit-forming tobacco smoking.

Each student’s PowerPoint presentation listed a brief history and highlighted the pros and cons of their topic. Ultimately, each topic’s potential dangers outweighed the possible advantages. Mitochondrial transfers and E-cigs are science related, yet totally different subjects. However, both presentations had similarities that couldn’t be ignored. Each issue faced controversy regarding the inadequate amount of testing and the fact that the FDA does not regulate either act.

“Presentations are not mandatory for SNHS. As a member you need six hours of tutoring each semester. If you don’t get those hours, you can create a presentation, which is worth two hours, or write a paper and put it on the SNHS drive, which is also worth two hours. SNHS also requires you to attend two guest speakers throughout the year. To become a member you have to maintain a 3.3 grade point average and maintain a 3.5 grade point average across all science courses. There are only thirty-one members, but everyone here is genuinely interested in science,” said Dylan Fox (’16).