Student travel to foreign areas

Photo provided by Kathryn Getter

Kathryn Getter (’18) smiles with a young girl she treats. “I was the one who had seen her and done her evaluation. A week later she came back and gave me a hug because she wasn’t sick anymore and that moment made m life worth while.”

Anna Jerrems, Reporter

Students exchange their BCPS cards for passports and travel across the world, either engaging in philanthropic endeavors or in hopes of expanding their horizons.

Eva Heilbronner (’18) is going to Iceland, Germany, and Italy over the course of 3 weeks during this upcoming summer. She’s going to visit “where her parents used to live to explore new places.”

She’s going to Iceland with her grandparents, cousins, and her brother.

“Hopefully when I go I’ll learn more about the cultures and meet new people,” Heilbronner said.

Flying to Iceland seems random, however, Heilbronner found the most inexpensive flight and destination to fulfill her desire to travel.

“When I’m older I hope to work with international organizations and travel a lot, so I hope it will prepare me for that,” Heilbronner said.

Former Hereford student, Kelcey Trewin, is an ambassador for Future Farmers of America and she traveled to South Africa for the international leadership seminar for state officers from Jan. 4-17.

Trewin visited Pretoria, Johanasburg, and Cape Town.

She also visited several smaller towns throughout her trip. The native people in South Africa “were some of the kindest people she met,” Trewin said.

“We visited a shanty town and one man said he doesn’t need to travel the world because people come visit and then his world can live on,” Trewin said.

Nico Avila (’18) flew to Ecuador for a week in March on a mission trip with the Healing Hands Foundation. He assisted doctors in surgery and improved the lives of those in need.

“49 successful surgeries for underprivileged residents of Riobamba, Ecuador, for kids and adults born with cleft lips and pallets, hand, foot, nose, and ear deformities,” Avila said.

The trip guided him towards thinking about what he wants to do later in life, Avila said.

“The people in Ecuador didn’t have the privileges that we have. We took those benefits that we have, helped them, and we put smiles on their faces,” he said.

The mission of the Healing Hands Foundation is to effectively implement medical resources and clinics in developing countries around the world.

“Not only do patients appreciate coming to facilities which are familiar to them, but we enjoy working alongside local health care workers who can teach us the nuances of infectious diseases, malnutrition, and other maladies not commonly seen in the U.S.,” according to the Healing Hands Foundation website.

Kathryn Getter (’18) also hopes to pursue a career in medicine. Getter has been to Guatemala and Nicaragua over summer and winter breaks participating in volunteering opportunities. She volunteered in medical clinics where access to medical care is limited.

“No matter how you slice it, happiness doesn’t stem from anything you can buy. People are living on dirt and walk six miles barefoot to and from work every day to pick corn and they are the most grateful people. Family, friends, it’s honestly the only thing that matters,” Getter said.

Both opportunities enlightened Getter about her perspective on life, happiness, and the future.

“The world is much bigger and more complex than the isolated bubble of a life a lot of us live in.”

“The experience really solidified and reinforced my aspiration to go to medical school and become a doctor. It’s a field I’ve known I had an interest in, but having the hands-on experience was what allowed me to know that I had the passion for it also.”

“Having awareness that you are a part of a world that is a much bigger place, is a perspective that will always help you when making self and communal affecting decisions.”