Hooking up in hallways causes controversy

Photo By Emma Charles Sydney Watts (’19) and her significant other plan to meet up during class. More and more of these incidents have been occuring in the school.

Emma Charles, Reporter

It’s common to see a couple share a quick kiss before class or while saying goodbye after school, but the newly rising trend of meeting up during class to hook up is raising questions. When does PDA cross the line of being sweet and romantic to just plain wrong?

The BPCS handbook policy 5550 prohibits “inappropriate behavior of a sexual nature” along with “indecent exposure,” but otherwise makes no reference of the matter at hand. The real question is, when does the “sexual behavior” become inappropriate?

“I’d say a quick kiss is okay, but when you get into the swapping of saliva, that’s when it gets disturbing,” Kyle Charles (’18) said.

On the contrary, Taylor Williams (’19) argues that it’s awesome and reminds her of a romantic movie.

The types of sexual interactions at school fall on a grand scale, ranging from a peck to doing a whole lot more than that, hidden away in a closet under the stairs that no one knew existed.

“Most people don’t get in trouble, but I’m sure if you got caught ditching class to hook up, teachers would not be happy,” Eva Burr (’19) said.

Justin Knott (’19) is a proud veteran of the in-school hook up and stands by his actions.

“It’s really quite fun, quite the rush,” Knott said. “Personally, I’d say go for a stairwell, they are the way to go.”

Two people, (who wish to remain anonymous), and frequently hook up with their girlfriends in school, shared some of their experiences. In both cases they have planned to meet up during class and made out on the staircase or in the elevator.

“I think it is fine to hook up, but just like making out, nothing more, because it’s still school,” Bailey Perez (’20) said. “Do it somewhere semi-private because no one really wants to see a whole bunch of PDA.”

In these instances, other students might accept and approve of your choices, but a teacher sees things from an alternate perspective.

“This is work, this is your work place,” Social Studies teacher Terese Trebilcock said. “Just as I wouldn’t be doing that with my husband if we worked together, no student should.”

PDA has also spiked controversy accompanying the rise of the LGBTQ awareness. Some students complain that, since everyone is too afraid to offend people nowadays, straight couples have less freedom.

“Why are members of LGBTQ allowed to kiss in the hallway, but if a straight couple gets caught kissing they can be punished?” Josh Arigbamu (’19) said.

Whether or not this is a true statement is up to interpretation, but either way PDA causes controversy. With no rules in place strictly stating when PDA is acceptable or who should be practicing it, the lines are blurry.

“All I’m saying is keep it classy,” Ryan Musolf (’18) said. “There’s some things people don’t want to see at seven in the morning, but most things are okay.”

Everyone has their own opinions, but the general consensus seems to be that as long as you aren’t disturbing peers or directly hindering the learning of any student; feel free to express yourself.